The DDA continues to follow the National Main Street model for downtown revitalization, facilitating the transition of downtown to a specialty retail shopping and entertainment district recognizing the Lapeer County administrative complex as critical building blocks for downtown and bringing more residents downtown with new, high density residential projects.
About the DDA:
The Lapeer City Commission created the Lapeer Downtown Development Authority by Ordinance 36 which became effective on November 24th, 1982. The Downtown Development District was established in the traditional downtown of Lapeer.
Since its inception in 1982, the Lapeer DDA has completed an impressive list of projects and activities including:
- A $2.5 million streetscape and Gateway Entrance project in 2003 – 2004;
- The upgrading of over 30 facades downtown through a low interest loan program;
- Purchase and renovation of the Pix Theatre as well as establishing the Center for the Arts of Greater Lapeer;
- Construction of a Farmers Market Pavilion and several public parking lots;
- Purchase and resale of the Old Post Office which is now a premier office building, as well as the purchase and reuse of the Lapeer Abstract & Title building as Gallery 194.
The Lapeer DDA partners successfully on projects with the Center for the Arts of Greater Lapeer, the City of Lapeer, the Downtown Business Association, the Lapeer Farmers Market and the Lapeer County Historical Society.
The District boundaries of the Lapeer DDA were expanded in 2014 to include more of the commercial areas to the east and west along Nepessing Street. See the DDA District Map DDA District Map.
In 2014 the DDA together with Imlay City DDA hosted 14 Detroit Institute of Arts masterpiece reproductions around both downtowns as part of the DIA Inside Out Art program for the enjoyment of the public.
In 2014 Lapeer DDA was successful in attaining Michigan State Housing Department Authority Michigan Main Street status as an Associate Level participating community; renewed for 2015.
Join Lapeer Main Street to revitalize downtown Lapeer!